Question:
Flight Simulator Beginner !! Help!?
Ashley
2010-07-17 02:12:31 UTC
Ok, I have got Microsoft Flight Simulator X Deluxe Edition for some time now but I never bothered playing it until now. I checked the system requirements and it's all good. In fact, I installed it and played it when I first got it but it became really hard to fly with the mouse. I stopped in the aircraft taxiing mission after it became too hard. I thought I could control the plane with the mouse but I was gravely wrong. I reckon it's nearly impossible to control the aircrafts with a mouse and even worse is a keyboard I suppose.

I'm concerned that fsx might be too hard for someone who is not a pilot but I hear it being used by non-pilots all the time. I'm an aviation enthusiast. This is my first time using any flight simulator apart from flightgear. I just really wanted to know if MS flight simulator x is beginner friendly or not. Does it actively teach beginners how to fly and all that? Is it hard to learn for beginners or will I manage? Is there a step by step practical tutorial teaching beginners some of the basics of flying in fsx?

Also, I will need a good joystick. I looked around and there are so many around. So many that I can't really make up my mind. Can you recommend me some really good joysticks which I can use in fsx. I'm particularly looking for one with force feedback.
Thanks for reading !!
Five answers:
disorn
2010-07-19 13:06:17 UTC
controlling with a keyboard is easy to fly than mouse but joystick is the best for me (now) getting a new set of Controller. i'm am 13 and i love fsx it not that hard there a learning school in the game (not in the mission it teaches you nearly everything. i love this game. p.s. logitech joystick is ok for me not too bad and it affordable
2016-03-05 19:54:41 UTC
I have to say that I am definitely very biased against simulators, especially the kind on your home PC. The first problem with beginners using a home simulator is that they are self-taught. Many of the bad habits will come from trying to learn how to fly without the supervision and guidance of a flight instructor. You may be doing things very wrong while thinking that you are actually doing them properly. There are also so many possibilities and considerations related to safe flight that an experienced pilot has to teach you. The next thing I would point out is that there is a huge difference between the sophisticated simulators used by professionals and the computer program you have at home. If you ever have a chance to use a "real" simulator, you will immediately see the difference. I have also noticed that the physics of the aircraft (specifically for helicopters) are pretty terrible in FSX. I understand that there are additions you can download that more closely simulate the helicopter, but it's still not very good. Plus, most of the time you don't even have real flight controls to use. The last thing of course is the feel you get from actual flight. Your sight, hearing, and touch will detect many cues from the aircraft that will allow you to anticipate the required control inputs so you can make them smoothly and with finesse. Without those sensory inputs, you will be reacting to the aircraft, rather than anticipating. An aircraft will also often alert you to difficulties before they even happen. If you train using a simulator, you will not benefit from learning those subtle but critical feelings. I will say that there are a few specific cases where the benefits of simulator training are incredibly valuable. - When experienced pilots learn the systems and procedures when transitioning to a new aircraft. They can take their time learning every detail about that new aircraft at a much lower cost. - When a new instrument student has mastered the basics of attitude instrument flight in an actual aircraft, they can benefit tremendously by studying instrument navigation, procedures, and approaches in the simulator. You really have to learn the steps backwards and forwards so you can stay 12 steps ahead during actual flight. The simulator helps do this. - Emergency procedures can also be practiced very effectively in the simulator. Furthermore, you can reproduce emergency situations in the simulator that would be impossible to practice safely in flight. So basically, the real benefits of simulators come when learning new procedures and new systems. They are, in my mind, only beneficial to pilots with experience in real aircraft first, and only under the supervision of instructors.
JohnDicksey123
2010-07-17 03:16:18 UTC
I don't understand why you're saying its hard. It's a simulator you have to learn step by step how to control the aircraft and such, that's why they have the lessons. Simulators are not suppose to be games, and are suppose to be realistic. So it's like learning how to pilot a plane virtually, of course it's probably nothing close to a real plane, but the closest you can get virtually. And yes FSX will not be fun without a joystick. As far as joysticks goes, the Logitech Attack 3 is a pretty good joystick for about $20. Saitek joysticks are pretty nice too. I currently have a Saitek Cyborg Evo Force and it works like a charm. And I'm pretty sure all joysticks now days comes with force feedback.
Mui
2016-05-01 06:06:23 UTC
1
?